– Legislation authored by state Rep. Jim Struzzi (R-Indiana) that would address Pennsylvania’s drug overdose epidemic is on the verge of becoming law following unanimous passage by the Senate on Wednesday.
“It is so rewarding to see all of the hard work pay off and result in getting this bill to the finish line on Gov. Tom Wolf’s desk,” Struzzi said. “We got off to a slow start in accumulating cosponsors, but opinions really changed after the House Judiciary Committee conducted a hearing last January and really demonstrated the need for this legislation. That’s a big reason why members’ minds changed on both sides of the aisle, and House Bill 1393
passed both the House and Senate without a negative vote in committee or on the floor.”
Fentanyl is one of the leading causes of overdose deaths, and nearly half of our states have taken this course of action for individuals who are in the grip of addiction. House Bill 1393 would help prevent deadly overdoses by removing fentanyl test strips from the definition of “drug paraphernalia” which are prohibited and carry serious penalties.
“I’d also like to applaud our committee for amending the life-saving bill to expand the definition of “testing products” and accommodate the unfortunately ever-changing landscape of our culture,” added Struzzi. “Sadly, the next wave of dangerous, controlled substances that could unfortunately impact our society is right around the corner. It wouldn’t surprise me if we are forced to revisit this legislation in the future and amend it and take something else into account.”
Questions about this or any legislative issue should be directed to Struzzi’s Indiana office at 724-465-0220.